I worked as a Volunteer at Burnside Library doing some art work for them in the 1990’s. This eventually evolved into painting some large murals. The first mural I painted was of the Great Barrier Reef. It was featured on the far wall of the children’s section of the library for some years, until the entire library was demolished to make way for a new building. After that mural, I painted two African murals, which were displayed on the walls above the main library separating it from the mezzanine area, where office staff were accommodated.
Both series of murals were painted in oil pastel on large sheets of cardboard before being assembled on the walls of the library. It was difficult for me to see how the completed mural would look, as I worked by advancing from one section to another, rather than from a complete sketch of the mural. I held a general idea in my imagination as I went and balanced weight and colour from piece to piece. I was able to assemble sections on the floor between the office desks, from time to time, but was not able to get larger sections together. The first time I saw any mural in it’s entirety was when it was set up on the wall.
Because of the way I worked, I was able to paint the creatures and plants in the murals in fine detail. That is not evident in these photos. I did not take detailed photos as I proceeded.